Find Files. Fast!
Use HoudahSpot to find important documents, mail messages, photos, image files and more.
- Start with a simple search
- Refine it by adding and combining criteria
- Search several folders at once. Exclude others
- Add and sort by any of the hundreds of columns available
- Preview files and text matches
HoudahSpot shows search results in a convenient and easy-to-use interface that keeps all the important details at your fingertips.
If you've ever had a hard time finding a file before, this is the tool you've been looking for. Give HoudahSpot a try!
Powerful File Search
- Find files by name, text, content kind, file extension, author, recipient, pixel count, etc.
- Combine criteria to quickly zero in on the files you need
- Customize columns in the search results list
- Filter the results to see only relevant files
- Set up templates for recurring searches
HoudahSpot is a powerful desktop search tool. It uses the Spotlight index ‐ which comes preinstalled with OS X ‐ to get you to your files in no time.
What you need.
When you need it.
HoudahSpot takes all the tedium out of file search. Use HoudahSpot to locate hard-to-find files and keep frequently used files within reach.
- Mails about “CV” or “resumé” received this year
- Word processing files containing “invoice” or “estimate”
- Image files named “logo” that are 512 pixels wide
- Files created, modified, or opened in the last 7 days
HoudahSpot is absolutely both a necessity and critical in making my workflow life manageable!
A smarter, better, faster way to find files.
Finder works for easy things - HoudahSpot does the heavy lifting.
For me a true killer app since years – helped me so often finding long missed info fast and easy.
The ‘HoudahSpot’ app is simply amazing! I was literally speechless at how good it was.
I have used HoudahSpot 4.0 for about six minutes. I am agog. I am stunned. This is beautiful. And fast. And I have so wanted a beautiful preview / information panel. Wow!
Ten minutes with HoudahSpot 4.0 and I can tell you - you’re not getting it back, I’m keeping it!
Quick Search Field
Find files by typing just a few words.
HoudahSpot starts the search at your command: Hit Return when you are ready.
Refine your Search
Add criteria to narrow down your search to the exact files you are looking for.
Choose from hundreds of attributes to search by: name, text, tags, file size, date created, etc.
Combine criteria into groups to find files that match any, all or none of the criteria in the group.
Search text for words, prefixes, or exact phrase. Use “*” as a wildcard for partial matches.
Search several locations at once. Specify which subfolders to include and which to exclude.
HoudahSpot can, for example, search your home folder, skip the Library folder, but still show results from the Mail folder, which is nested within your Library folder.
Add and sort by any of the hundreds of columns available. See file paths, folder sizes, image dimensions, etc.
Customize results display: view as list, icons or thumbnails.
Save your perfect setup of criteria, locations and columns as default for new windows.
Preview & Info
The Info pane, Quick Look and Text Preview help you explore search results and pick the files you are looking for.
A concise summary shows the most relevant properties of found files. These include file size and modification dates as well as image dimensions, video duration, etc.
The Info pane also shows detailed file properties and metadata as indexed by Spotlight. Use this information to filter search results or to create new search criteria.
Create snippets to hold sets of criteria you use frequently.
The sample snippet “Images” contains criteria commonly used when searching for images.
The sample snippet “Word files” contains criteria to match Microsoft Word files by both of the possible Uniform Type Identifiers.
Save searches as templates. These serve as blueprints to create new searches.
HoudahSpot comes with a set of sample templates. The “Apple Mail Messages” template is set up with useful criteria for finding email messages stored by Apple Mail.
Templates also allow for quick access to frequently used files. The “Applications” sample template lists all your applications. “Recent Files” will find files opened or modified within the past 7 days.
Power User Features
- Enter advanced queries in the search field
- Copy result lists as tab delimited text
- Inspect files by dropping them onto the Info window
- Automate search using Apple Script
- Start HoudahSpot searches from third party tools like Alfred, LaunchBar, Butler, etc.